Ilona Teremi is the principal of Commercial Law Group Pty Ltd. With almost 20 years legal experience, Ilona can cover a large range of legal matters.
Ilona’s background is unique. In more recent times, Ilona co-founded a commercial law firm in Sydney CBD and was its Managing Solicitor Director for almost 8 years. Before then, Ilona Teremi held a mix of roles. Ilona has worked at other law firms, but her key solution skills come from the 10 plus years of experience that Ilona has had as an in house lawyer for companies such as Coles Myer Group, Merck Sharp and Dohme and IAG (NRMA Insurance). When in private practice, Ilona acted for many high profile clients such as Harvey Norman, General Pants Group, Speciality Fashion House and wagamama.
Key to Ilona’s background is the experience and ability to look not only at the big picture for clients and clear those legal road blocks, but to make sure clients have the detail covered. Ilona is a strategically focused lawyer with expertise in developing strategic, commercial outcomes for her corporate clients. Ilona can facilitate challenging negotiations and differing stakeholder interests to achieve win-win solutions for clients, coupled with a sound risk approach and the management of legal hurdles.
You will find Ilona’s contributions will be pragmatic and results driven. Ilona has served as a legal advisor to client Boards, directors and shareholders on complex business issues and market opportunities with a particular emphasis on governance and new markets.
Ilona has been involved in several significant projects:
- Working with online businesses, either start up companies or established businesses, drafting website terms and conditions and advising on back end requirements such as privacy and spam compliance, bait advertising and misleading and deceptive conduct. Worked closely with with the Australia Retailers Association and its members, and Restaurant Catering Association.
- Shareholder Agreements, Distribution Agreements, Service Agreements, Consultancy Agreements, Software and User Licensing Agreements, Confidentiality Agreements and Supply Agreements;
- Drafting of various tender processes and policies as well as development of Contract Policies and Supplier Relationship Policies;
- Advising directors and liquidators in respect of director duties, preference claims, bankruptcies, liquidations, voidable transactions and advising entities as to insolvency risk issues;
- Advising on PPSA implications, assisting with redrafting of Terms and Conditions and Credit Applications;
- Drafting Executive Employment Contracts, letters of offer, position descriptions, Employee Policies and Statements, advising clients on Restraints of Trade issues, confidentiality and loss of IP as well as advising on employee termination rights, discrimination, sexual harassment, victimisation, bullying and harassment matters, independent contractor disputes, unfair dismissal, redundancies and restructuring proposals;
- Drafting and negotiating Retail and Commercial Leases, assisting Lessees and Lessors with lease option disputes and market rent negotiations as well as lease renewals, lease exit strategies, assignment of leases and subleasing arrangements;
- Advising clients on the new Australian Consumer Laws, the Competition and Consumer Act, OH & S, food safety, liquor licensing applications, smoking laws and gaming compliance for the hospitality industry, advising on franchising agreements, franchise setup and licensee agreements;
- Advice on oppression remedies for shareholders and buy out strategies for shareholders, advising Directors on Constitutions and Corporations Act requirements for the holding of various company meetings;
- Advising clients on refinancing documents and corporate guarantees associated with refinancing, company restructuring and company formation requirements, applications for trademarks and new entity registrations, advising on joint venture proposals;
- Assisting clients with buying and/or selling of businesses and business consolidation, assisting with due diligence, assisting with the sale of shares and Share Sale Agreements;
- Assisting clients at board meeting level as legal advisor to the Directors and shareholders;
- Advising clients on loss of use claims for insurance policies and experience in insurance policy drafting.
To learn more about Ilona, view her LinkedIn profile